The SMP 111 is a high performance recording and streaming processor for capturing and distributing AV sources and presentations as live streaming and recorded media. It accepts an HDMI signal with embedded audio and an analog audio signal. Extron scaling and flexible processing present content of varying resolutions from computers and HDTV sources. The SMP 111 supports extensive streaming capabilities, it can record and stream simultaneously, with independent resolutions and bit rates using a range of transport protocols and session management options. Recording with the SMP 111 provides easy capture of live HDMI signals to an internal flash drive and external USB drives. Requiring no licensing fees, the SMP 111 is a compact, flexible, and cost-effective solution for streaming and recording content.
The SMP 111 is complemented by Entwine Enterprise Media Platform. This platform is used to administer users, groups, and recordings produced by the SMP 111. Entwine EMP also processes the recorded media into file packages that provide a data-rich playback experience using the Entwine VideoLounge player, a browser-based media player that can be operated from virtually any computer or mobile device.
AV Recording with Enhanced Data
The SMP 111 produces an MP4 or M4V container format that is compatible with virtually any media player. It records at 512x288 through 1920x1080, including 480p, 720p, or 1080p resolutions, supporting a variety of storage, and playback requirements. Recordings can include metadata with information such as: Title, Creator, Subject, Description, Publisher, Contributor, and Date, which makes searching, indexing, and managing multiple recordings more efficient. Set chapter marks during recording sessions for highly efficient searching and scanning during file playback. JPEG thumbnail images are captured periodically and for specially marked events. Thumbnail image size is selectable in order to meet the needs of the recording environment. Extron recording packages include thumbnail images, chapter marks, metadata, and the recorded video and audio. The combination of a high resolution AV signal, on-screen data, metadata, thumbnail images, and chapter marks make navigation and playback of SMP 111 recordings from a media player or content management system highly efficient and effective.
MP4 recordings can be saved to internal solid state storage, a USB storage device, or a defined network storage directory. USB storage devices connect easily to the SMP 111 from the front or rear panel. The approximate capacity in hours for the SMP 111's internal solid state storage, a 64 GB thumb drive, and a 1 TB network drive are presented in the table below. Hours of storage capacity are calculated for video bit rates from 1 Mbps to 10 Mbps plus 192 Kbps for audio.
|Approximate Storage Capacity in Hours Based on Video Bit Rate and Storage Device
|Video Recording Bit Rate
||32 GB Internal Flash
||64 GB USB Thumb Drive
||1 TB Network Storage
|Storage capacity estimate is calculated using the video recording bit rate plus 192 Kbps for audio.
Extensive Streaming Capabilities
The SMP 111 offers extensive streaming capabilities. It can stream concurrently with a recording session at two different resolutions and bit rates from 512x288 to 1080p/30. High resolution, high bit rates can be used to deliver superior quality video to the recording, while a lower bit rate and resolution can be used for streaming distribution or confidence viewing applications. Streaming bit rates can range from 200 Kbps to 10 Mbps for video and 80 Kbps to 384 Kbps for audio. Both push and pull streaming sessions are supported, offering a range of streaming transport protocols and session management methods. This range of capabilities provides the flexibility to stream from the SMP 111 to a variety of devices in different system configurations and network conditions.
Signal Processing Simplifies Setup and Operation
Like many other Extron AV products, the SMP 111 offers comprehensive digital and analog signal processing features that make interfacing presentation sources easy. EDID Minder® automatically manages EDID communications to ensure sources power up properly and a reliable output signal is provided. Intelligent HDCP signal notification of an encrypted source, while presenting a green screen with HDCP message to the stream, recording, and HDMI confidence outputs. Auto-Image™ automatically adjusts source sizing, centering, and filtering and Auto Input Memory saves the size, position, and picture settings of incoming signals, ensuring that sources present properly. Comprehensive picture, aspect ratio, size, and position controls provide quality images.
Flexible System Control Options
Many different control capabilities are available from the SMP 111. The front panel buttons and LED indicators provide a simple interface to manage, monitor, and control the unit for a wide variety of applications. The SMP 111 also features an RS‑232 port and an Ethernet port to interface with remote devices and control systems.
A mini USB control port is available on the front panel of the SMP 111 to support direct configuration from a PC. Alternatively, a USB port on the rear of the unit is available for connection to a keyboard and mouse, to serve as the interface for the embedded web browser. The browser can be viewed from the HDMI output connection and serves as a convenient method to access network setup and control.
Optional Remote Control - RCP 101 Series
The optional RCP 101 Series remote control panel can extend both front panel control as well as USB connectivity for thumb drive recording media. Available in Decora, MK, and EU versions; the EU version is compatible with Flex55 enclosures or EU junction boxes. The included USB and power cables from the SMP 111 provide up to 15 feet (4.5 meters) of extension to the transport controls and USB port. Alternately, a USB extension such as Extron’s USB Extender Plus series can provide up to 330 feet (100 meters) between the remote control panel and the SMP 111.
Highly Adaptable FlexOS Platform
FlexOS is Extron’s flexible, embedded operating system that manages and controls additional functions within the SMP 111. FlexOS makes the SMP 111 easily-adaptable to new requirements over time for a multitude of streaming, recording, processing, control, and presentation applications.
Powerful Tools for Monitoring and Management
Simple Network Management Protocol - SNMP traps, email and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - SMTP can be used to deliver messages to AV and IT support staff or monitoring systems when signal errors or encrypted sources are detected and when storage is near capacity, allowing proactive service to be initiated. Operational system data is logged continually, identifying recording sessions, storage directory use, file names, metadata, and storage capacity. This information provides valuable data for evaluating usage patterns and operating concerns.
Content Management and Publishing Options
The SMP 111 produces MP4 or M4V media files with chapter marks, JPEG thumbnail images, and metadata supporting a data rich playback experience from content management systems. It can be configured to integrate directly with Extron’s Entwine EMP enterprise media platform for lecture capture, Kaltura Hosted Video Platform, or Opencast Video Solution for lecture capture and distribution. SMP 111 AV recordings can be automatically transferred to network shares or FTP servers for a simplified workflow. Recording packages may also be manually uploaded to third party content management systems such as iTunes-U, Blackboard LMS, SharePoint, CaptionSync, YouTube, Moodle, and more.
The SMP 111 is ideal for applications that require simple recording of a single video signal with or without embedded audio plus analog audio and metadata. It provides MP4 or M4V file format recordings integrated with metadata, chapter and event marking. It is also ideal for applications that require live streaming to remote participants, hosting services, or local confidence viewing. The SMP 111 can be adapted to many applications, documenting virtually any meeting, conference, or activity that uses an AV source as a reference. The SMP 111 is ideal for use in corporate, education, government, and rental and staging applications. Applications include:
- Presentation Recording: Document presentations and replay them for absent participants
- Lecture Capture: Record and publish educational courses onto learning management systems
- Enterprise Training Systems: Archive training material and publish for on-demand access
- Visual Data Recording: Document technical systems that use AV data
- Event Rehearsal: Practice and evaluate rehearsals and presentations
- Process live, high resolution HDMI video and audio with metadata
- Stream and record simultaneously
- High quality scaling with aspect ratio control, size, and position
- Produces MP4 media files that are compatible with virtually any media player
- Automatic file uploading
- RTMP streaming protocol supports popular third party hosting services
- Supports source resolutions up to 1920x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60
- Stream at resolutions from 512x288 to 1080p/30
- HDMI output with audio
- Records audio, video, and data
- Save recordings to internal storage, external USB storage, or network storage
- Easy to operate front panel controls
- Embedded Web interface
- Supports HDMI with embedded and analog audio
- Mark Chapters for quick selection
- Capture thumbnails during recordings
- Record at 512x288 thru 1920x1080, including 480p, 720p, or 1080p
- Audio mixing and DSP functionality
- Audio Delay processing
- Directly compatible with Entwine EMP
- Directly compatible with Opencast
- Direct compatibility with Kaltura Hosted Video Platform
- Compatible with third party content management systems
- Flexible plugin applications for advanced AV system management
- RS‑232, and Ethernet control
- USB remote control port
- Standards-based H.264 / MPEG‑4 AVC video compression
- Auto‑Image™ setup
- Auto Input Memory
- Encoding presets for quick recall of compression settings
- License-free operation for a low cost of ownership
- Push streaming transport protocols
- Pull streaming transport protocols
- Video encoding quality adjustments
- On screen display information
- Onscreen display video time reference
- User configurable recording file size
- Automatic file space management for internal storage
- Recording metadata
- Record Duration Limiter
- System workflow alarms
- Alarm reporting
- AAC audio encoding
- EDID Minder® automatically manages EDID communication between connected devices
- Picture controls for brightness, contrast, position, and size
- Aspect ratio control
- HDCP Visual Confirmation provides a green signal when encrypted content is sent to a non-compliant display
- HDCP encryption and signal presence confirmation
- Internal test patterns for setup
- Front panel lockout
- Metadata text overlay
- Includes LockIt® HDMI cable lacing brackets
- Rack-mountable 1U, half rack width metal enclosure
- Internal universal power supply