The SMP 351 is a high performance streaming and recording processor for capturing and distributing AV sources and presentations as live streaming or recorded media. It incorporates Extron’s FlexOS®, a flexible platform for automating system operation. Accepting HDMI, component, composite, and optional 3G-SDI signals, it applies two-window processing to the selected sources. The SMP 351 can record and stream simultaneously and can stream at two different resolutions and bit rates concurrently using a range of transport protocols and session management options. Comprehensive control and configuration features make the SMP 351 integration-friendly, and easy to control and operate. Requiring no licensing fees, the SMP 351 has a low cost of ownership, making it a cost-effective solution for delivering presentations to a larger audience.
Extron’s FlexOS embedded operating system makes the SMP 351 highly adaptable to new system requirements, and Extron applications can be uploaded to the SMP 351 to automate system operation using control ports. The SMP 351 is complemented by Extron Streaming Content Manager - SCM software. SCM is a server-based software for managing users and access rights for recordings produced by the SMP 351. SCM also processes the recorded media into file packages that provide a data-rich playback experience using the Extron Media Player - EMP, a browser-based media player that can be operated from virtually any computer or mobile device.
Flexible Signal Support
The SMP 351 processes two high resolution AV sources from up to five available connections. One of two HDMI signals can be selected from Channel A along with analog or HDMI-embedded stereo audio. Channel A also provides a loop through HDMI and audio connection, which can be passed directly to a presentation display. Channel B inputs support common camera formats including composite, component HD, and HDMI. A second model, the SMP 351 3G-SDI, accepts serial digital video signals supplied by cameras and other professional video sources. The Channel A and B input connections both support computer-video formats from 640x480 to 1920x1200, and video formats from 480p to 1080p/60. They can be switched live during a presentation.
Effective Multi-Window Processing
The SMP 351 offers highly flexible source presentation options. The Channel A and B input signals can be presented on the output individually at full screen or together in any two-window display arrangement including side-by-side. Up to sixteen customized window presets can be prepared, combining the Channel A and B inputs with a PNG background image and metadata. These flexible, multi-source processing features makes it easy to recreate the live presentation experience. They also provide viewers with greater insight into the event’s context, facilitating interpretation and retention of the information presented.
AV Recording with Enhanced Data
The SMP 351 produces an MP4 (M4V) container format, which is compatible with virtually any media player. It records at 480p, 720p, or 1080p resolutions, supporting a variety of quality, storage, and playback requirements. Recordings can include metadata with information such as: Title, Creator, Subject, Description, Publisher, Contributor, and Date, which makes searching, indexing, and managing multiple recordings more efficient. Set chapter marks during recording sessions for highly efficient searching and scanning during file playback. JPEG thumbnail images are captured periodically and for specially marked events. Thumbnail image size is selectable in order to meet the needs of the recording environment. Extron SCM software processes the thumbnail images, chapter marks, and metadata produced during impromptu recording sessions into playback packages for the EMP. The combination of two high resolution AV signals, a background image, on-screen data, metadata, thumbnail images, and chapter marks make navigation and playback of SMP 351 recordings from the EMP highly efficient and effective.
MP4 recordings can be saved to internal solid state storage, a USB storage device, or a defined network storage directory. USB storage devices connect easily to the SMP 351 from the front or rear panel. The approximate capacity in hours for a 32 GB thumb drive, the SMP 351 internal solid state storage and a 1 TB network drive is presented in the table below. Hours of storage capacity are calculated for video bit rates from 1 Mbps to 10 Mbps plus 192 kbps for audio.
|Approximate Storage Capacity in Hours Based on Video Bit Rate and Storage Device
|Video Recording Bit Rate
||32 GB USB Thumb Drive
||SMP 351 - 80 GB SSD
||SMP 351 - 400 GB SSD
||1 TB Network Storage
|Storage capacity estimate is calculated using the video recording bit rate plus 192 kbps for audio.
Extensive Streaming Capabilities
The SMP 351 offers extensive streaming capabilities. It can stream concurrently with a recording session at two different resolutions and bit rates from 512x288 to 1080p/30. High resolution, high bit rates can be used to deliver superior quality, presenting video on large screens in overflow applications, while a lower bit rate and resolution can be used for streaming distribution or confidence viewing applications. Streaming bit rates can range from 200 kbps to 10 Mbps for video and 16 kbps to 384 kbps for audio. Both push and pull streaming sessions are supported, offering a range of streaming transport protocols and session management methods. This range of capabilities provides the flexibility to stream from the SMP 351 to a variety of devices in different system configurations and network conditions.
Signal Processing Simplifies Source Management
Like many other Extron AV products, the SMP 351 offers comprehensive digital and analog signal processing features that make interfacing presentation sources easy. EDID Minder® automatically manages EDID communications to ensure sources power up properly and a reliable output signal is provided. Intelligent HDCP-compliant signal management passes encrypted signals to HDCP-compliant connected displays, while presenting a green screen with HDCP message on encoded media sent to non-compliant displays. All signal switching produces clean transitions, with no distracting visual jumps, glitches, or distortion that would distract from recordings and live streaming. Auto-Image™ automatically adjusts source sizing, centering, and filtering and Auto Input Memory saves the size, position, and picture settings of incoming signals, ensuring that sources present properly. Comprehensive picture controls and aspect ratio controls produce quality and accuracy for every application.
Dual Recording and Streaming with LinkLicense
The LinkLicense® for SMP 351 upgrade enables the creation of independent recordings from two different video sources and provides independent archive stream settings for each channel. Users can choose to create a single layout for simultaneous streaming and recording, or create synchronized recordings and streams of two video channels with the dual recording feature. A confidence stream provides a composite of two video sources to monitor both channels from a single stream. To further enhance the capabilities of the SMP 351, LinkLicense enables advanced audio DSP features for level control, filtering, and dynamics as well as streaming presets that increase functionality and provide a simplified workflow.
Highly Adaptable FlexOS Platform
FlexOS is Extron’s flexible, embedded operating system that manages and controls functional systems within the SMP 351. FlexOS makes the SMP 351 easily-adaptable to new requirements over time for a multitude of streaming, recording, processing, control, and presentation applications. A number of Extron applications are available for uploading to the SMP 351 that help automate various system operations via the control ports.
Flexible System Control Options
Many different control capabilities are available from the SMP 351. The front panel buttons and LCD display provide a simple interface to manage, configure, monitor, and control the unit for a wide variety of applications. The SMP 351 also features an RS-232 port that interfaces with serial devices and control systems and the Ethernet port provides an additional control interface. Using Extron FlexOS programs installed on the SMP 351, specific presentation, streaming, and recording scenarios can be automated using four digital I/O ports.
A USB control port is available on the front panel of the SMP 351 to support direct configuration from a PC. Alternatively, two USB ports on the rear of the unit are available for connection to a keyboard and mouse, to serve as the interface for a web browser that operates from the FlexOS platform. The browser can be viewed from the SMP 351 HDMI output connection and serves as a convenient method to access the SMP 351 embedded web page.
Streaming and recording presets simplify control and management of the SMP 351. Source window layouts and encoding configurations both incorporate many parameter settings that would be challenging to manage independently. Up to sixteen different presets can be saved for source window layouts and sixteen presets can be saved for encoding configurations. They can be recalled easily from the front panel, embedded web page, or an external control system when the SMP 351 is adapted to support different application requirements.
Powerful Tools for Scheduling, Monitoring, and Management
Recording schedules can be automatically updated by configuring the SMP 351 to integrate with Microsoft Exchange or periodically upload a centrally managed iCalendar file. Simple Network Management Protocol - SNMP traps, email and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - SMTP can be used to deliver messages to AV and IT support staff or monitoring systems when signal errors or encrypted sources are detected and when storage is near capacity, allowing proactive service to be initiated. Operational system data is logged continually, identifying recording sessions, storage directory use, file names, metadata, and storage capacity. This information provides valuable data for evaluating usage patterns and operating concerns.
Content Management and Publishing Options
The SMP 351 produces MP4 (M4V) media files with chapter marks, JPEG thumbnail images, and metadata supporting a data rich playback experience from Extron Media Player - EMP. It can be configured to integrate directly with the Opencast Matterhorn lecture capture AV content management system, commonly used by many higher education institutions or the Kaltura Hosted Video Platform. SMP 351 AV recordings can also be manually uploaded to third party content management systems such as iTunes-U, Blackboard LMS, SharePoint, CaptionSync, YouTube, Moodle, and RSS feeds.
The Extron Streaming Content Manager - SCM also manages media produced by the SMP 351 in impromptu recording sessions. It prepares the recorded data into a package of files for playback from the EMP; a browser-based player that offers an enhanced playback experience with advanced playback controls. SCM obtains user data from an organization’s LDAP/AD network services to identify users and aid in the management of access rights. SCM provides a user portal for administrators and users to manage and access EMP recording packages.
Quality Multi-Source Audio Processing
The SMP 351 provides mixing and basic audio DSP features. The SMP 351 mixes the Channel A and B input signals based on the selected source layout and input configurations. Audio output signals are adjusted automatically during source switches to eliminate potential clicks, pops, or undesired effects, producing a quality audio experience without the need for external processing equipment.
The SMP 351 is ideal for use in virtually any professional environment where AV sources can be streamed live or recorded for future reference, especially when combining multiple AV sources will enhance the message. Streaming and recording AV presentations allows an organization to communicate and train employees and students that cannot be present at an event. Event recording provides everyone with the opportunity to review and gain insight into the live experience. The SMP 351 can be adapted to many applications, documenting virtually any meeting, conference, or activity that uses an AV source as a reference. The SMP 351 is ideal for use in corporate, education, government, healthcare, courtroom, house of worship, and rental and staging applications. Applications include:
- Presentation Streaming: Stream presentations to remote viewers
- Corporate Training Systems: Record training events and publish them for on-demand access
- Lecture Capture: Record course lectures and upload them to Learning Management Systems
- Meeting and Conference Recording: Record meetings and videoconferences to document important decisions and agreements
- Visual Data Recording: Document technical systems that use AV sources as reference data
- Rehearsal Systems: Practice and evaluate rehearsals and presentations
- Process two high resolution AV sources from up to five available input signals
- Stream and record simultaneously
- High quality scaling with flexible two-window management
- Produces MP4 media files that are compatible with virtually any media player
- Dual Recording and Streaming with LinkLicense®
- Flexible I/O ports for advanced AV system management
- License-free operation contributes to a low cost of ownership
- Available with 400 Gigabytes of internal solid state storage to allow more time between content transfers
- Save recordings to internal solid state drive, external USB storage, or a defined network storage directory
- Stream concurrently at two resolutions and bit rates
- Chapter and event marking with thumbnails viewable in Extron Media Player
- Selectable thumbnail image size
- Record at 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1024x768, or 1280x1024 resolution
- Stream at resolutions from 512x288 to 1080p/30
- HDMI, component, composite, and optional 3G‑SDI input
- Easy to configure and operate from the front panel or external control system
- Window layout presets simplify control
- Internal Solid State Storage
- Define specific storage destinations for recorded data
- Manage AV recordings using Extron Streaming Content Manager
- HDCP-compliant input and output signal management
- HDMI output with audio
- HDMI-embedded stereo audio or analog stereo input and output signal support
- Audio mixing and DSP functionality
- Directly compatible with Opencast Matterhorn
- Direct compatibility with Kaltura Hosted Video Platform
- Compatible with third party content management systems
- Schedule streaming and recording using Microsoft Exchange
- Schedule streaming and recording using iCalendar
- Uploadable Extron FlexOS applications
- RS‑232, Ethernet, and digital I/O control ports
- Supports source resolutions up to 1920x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60
- Standards-based H.264 / MPEG‑4 AVC video compression
- Channel A buffered input loop-through
- Auto‑Image™ setup
- Recording layout presets simplify control
- Encoding presets for quick recall of specific compression settings
- Push and pull streaming session management
- Pull streaming transport protocols
- Push streaming transport protocols
- Session Announcement Protocol
- Adjustable recording and streaming bit rates
- Clean switching
- Recording metadata
- Metadata text overlay
- Uploadable background image files
- On screen display information
- Onscreen display video time reference
- Extended time recording
- User configurable recording file size
- Automatic file management for internal storage
- System workflow alarms
- Alarm reporting
- AAC audio encoding
- Video encoding quality controls including video resolution, video bit rate, frame rate, constant or variable bit rate control, GOP length, and audio bit rate
- Auto Input Memory
- EDID Minder® automatically manages EDID communication between connected devices
- Audio input gain and attenuation
- Picture controls for brightness, contrast, signal sampling, and overscan
- Aspect ratio control
- HDCP authentication and signal presence confirmation
- HDCP Visual Confirmation provides a green signal when encrypted content is sent to a non-compliant display
- Quad standard video decoding
- Internal test patterns for setup
- Front panel security lockout
- Ethernet monitoring and control
- Embedded Web interface
- RS‑232 control port
- USB keyboard and mouse ports
- Includes LockIt® HDMI cable lacing brackets
- Rack-mountable 1U, full rack width metal enclosure
- Internal universal power supply — The 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, international power supply provides worldwide power compatibility.